Catawba College /
/ Services / Research
Children's Literature Research Guide
^ Top ^
- Reference Databases
- Credo Reference
Provides access to general and subject-specific dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlases, handbooks, and guides.
Designed to help readers connect with great books, including picture books, children's chapter books, young adult titles and books for adult readers. The Search feature lets you look for a favorite title, author, series, or plot element and limit by age group. The Younger Kids and Older Kids sections provide lists of books organized by topic, genre, and awards. The Working With Kids section offers articles on using fiction in the classroom, sample booktalks, and more.
- Print Resources
- A to Zoo by Carolyn W. Lima and John A. Lima
REF Z1037 .L715 2006
Enables the reader to locate picture books on a particular subject and to determine the subject of a specific book when only the author, illustrator, or title is known. Covers nearly 28,000 in-print and out-of-print titles.
- Children's Catalog
REF Z1037 .C5443
Short entries on fiction and non-fiction books, magazines, and web resources for preschool-grade six. Organized by subject; includes author and title indexes.
- Children's Literature Review
REF PN1009 .A1 C5139
Covers current and historic children's literature. Entries include an author biography, list of works, and excerpts from original reviews. The best source for older books such as Tom Sawyer, Secret Garden, etc. The blue paperback index lists all titles in the series, and each volume includes a cumulative author index and cumulative topic index. An author and title index is also available online (http://www.galenet.com/servlet/LitIndex). Our collection begins with Volume 11.
- The Newbery and Caldecott Awards: A Guide to the Medal and Honor Books by the Association for Library Service to Children
REF PN1009 .A1 N4
Brief descriptions and plot summaries for award and honor books. All the winners and runners-up since 1922 for the Newbery and 1938 for the Caldecott awards.
- 60 Years of Notable Children's Books by Sally Anne Thompson
REF Z1037 .S59 2003x
1,500 notable titles, organized by decade. Also included are theme lists on popular subjects.
^ Top ^
- Article Databases
- Academic Search Premier
Contains indexing and abstracts for more than 8,500 journals, with full text for more than 4,600 of those titles. An excellent source of scholarly journal articles in all academic disciplines.
The ERIC database is the world's largest source of education information, containing abstracts of research reports and journal articles on education research and practice. Some full text is available. This database covers materials published between 1966 and the present.
- MLA International Bibliography
An index to journal articles and books published on all forms of human communication. Coverage includes materials on children's literature.
Finding Books & Videos
^ Top ^
- Search Our Library
- Library Catalog
- Children's Literature materials are available in the library's Juvenile collection as well as the Curriculum Materials Center. To limit your search results to materials in the Juvenile collection, use the Advanced Search and select Juvenile & Easy Books from the Locations menu. To limit your results to items in the Curriculum Materials Center, choose the CMC option from the Limit To menu on the Basic Search screen.
- Search Elsewhere
- Browse Our Stacks
- Works of children's literature can be found in the Juvenile collection (located upstairs on the Mezzanine) where the LC call number starts with:
- E75 - E99 = Native American Stories
- PZ6 = General Juvenile Literature to 1870
- PZ7 = General Juvenile Literature after 1870
- PZ8 = Fairy tales, Fables, Verses
- The Juvenile collection is divided into two sections - JUV (Children's Chapter Books, Young Adult Lit & Non-Fiction) and JUVEASY (Easy Readers & Picture Books).
- Books about children's literature can be found in the Reference and Circulating collections where the LC call number starts with:
- LB1575 = Teaching Children's Literature
- Z1037 = Books for Children
- See the Library of Congress Classification System Outline for details.
^ Top ^
- ALSC Awards and Grants
Information on the awards programs administered by the Association for Library Service to Children, including the Newbery and Caldecott medals. Includes lists of award winning and notable children's books.
- Children's Literature
A list of internet resources related to books for children and young adults from the New York Public Library.
- Children's Picture Book Database at Miami University
A database providing summaries and related links for more than 5,000 children's picture books. Fully searchable by keywords, including topics, concepts, and skills.
- Database of Award Winning Children's Literature
Easily-searchable database of more than 8,000 titles of award-winning children's literature. The database allows users to create individualized reading lists based on criteria such as ethnicity, gender, period, or location, or to determine if a book has received one of the indexed awards.
- Great Web Sites for Kids: Authors & Illustrators
Links to websites for prominent children's authors and illustrators, presented by the Association for Library Service to Children.
- Yahoo! Education: K-12 Reading
Directory of web pages on topics related to children's and young adult literature and reading.
Style & Citation Guides
^ Top ^