Catawba College /
/ Services / Research
Communication Arts Research Guide
^ Top ^
- Reference Databases
- Credo Reference
Provides access to general and subject-specific dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlases, handbooks, and guides.
- Serials Directory
Up-to-date publication and pricing information for nearly 250,000 U.S. and international journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Print Resources
- The ABC-CLIO Companion to the Media in America by Daniel W. Hollis, Editor
REF P92.U5 H58 1995
One-volume encyclopedia documenting the development of radio, television, newspapers, and magazines. Covers media companies, individual newspapers, magazines, broadcast networks, influential people, key concepts, and notable events.
- Censorship: A World Encyclopedia by Derek Jones, Editor
REF Z657 .C393 2001
Four-volume work providing a historical and multicultural view of censorship. Covers censorship in newspapers and broadcasting as well as in the visual and performing arts.
- Encyclopedia of New Media: An Essential Reference to Communication and Technology by Steve Jones, Editor
REF QA76.575 .E5368 2003
Single-volume encyclopedia presenting 250+ entries addressing communication technology and multimedia issues and concepts. Includes articles on individuals, companies, technologies, and more.
- The Facts on File Dictionary of Television, Cable, and Video by Robert M. Reed and Maxine K. Reed
REF PN1992.18 .R44 1994
Quick reference defining terms from three overlapping fields of electronic media.
- International Encyclopedia of Communications by Erik Barnouw, Editor in Chief
REF P87.5 .I5 1989
Comprehensive reference covering a broad array of communications topics, including journalism, mass media, and speech. Features bibliographies and numerous photographs and illustrations.
^ Top ^
- Article Databases
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
Offers full-text articles from over 400 journal titles directly related to communication and mass media, and contains citation coverage for additional sources. Key subjects covered include journalism, advertising and public relations, linguistics, and many more.
- Academic Search Premier
Contains indexing and abstracts for more than 8,500 journals, with full text for more than 4,600 of those titles. An excellent source of scholarly journal articles in all academic disciplines.
- MLA International Bibliography
An index to journal articles and books published on all forms of human communication. Coverage includes materials on language, the dramatic arts (film, radio, television, theater), and the history of printing and publishing.
- News Sources
- Access World News
Large newspaper database offering archival access to hundreds of U.S. and international newspapers, newswires, and transcripts, including numerous North Carolina titles.
- ProQuest Newspapers
Access to the Wall Street Journal in full-text back to 1984.
Finding Books & Videos
- Search Our Library
- Library Catalog
- Search Elsewhere
- Browse Our Stacks
- Communication Arts books can be found where the LC call number starts with:
- HD59 = Public Relations
- P87 - P96 = Communication
- PN1990 - PN1992 = Broadcasting
- PN4699 - PN5650 = Journalism
- Z657 - Z659 = Censorship
- See the Library of Congress Classification System Outline for details.
^ Top ^
^ Top ^
Style & Citation Guides
^ Top ^