/ Services / Circulation / Circulation Policy - Students
Circulation Policy - Students
- Checking Out Books, DVDs, etc.
- Bring any items and your ID to the Circulation Desk on the main level of the library. Your Catawba ID functions as your library card and is required for all checkouts.
- Loan periods for items to be checked out are:
All books checked out by students are due on the last day of final
exams each semester. Students who need to clear incomplete grades
should check at the Circulation Desk to arrange an extended loan.
Students who want to borrow between terms must be enrolled for the
next semester and must have returned all books and paid all fines.
|CDs & General Videos (DVDs & VHS tapes)||7 Days|
|SGA Collection Videos ||3 Days|
- There is no limit to the number of items borrowed.
- Reference materials, some classroom reserve items, periodicals, federal and state documents, newspapers, microfiche and microfilm, computer software, and items from the special collections may not be checked out, but may be used within the library.
- You may see the items you have checked out and their due dates from your Library Account online.
- Renewing Items
- If an item is needed past the due date, it may be renewed as long as a hold has not been placed on the item. It must be renewed prior to the due date. It may be renewed from your Library Account online (check the box next to the item to be renewed and click the Request Renewal button) or in person at the Circulation Desk or by calling (704)637-4448 during normal library hours. Students are allowed one sequential renewal before returning the item to the library.
- Recalls and Holds on Checked Out Items
- Students may request that a hold be placed on an item that is currently checked out by another person. Holds must be placed in person at the Circulation Desk. That item will not be able to be renewed, and when it is returned, the item will be held and the student will be notified.
- If an item that has been checked out is needed for Reserves, a recall may be issued, and the item must be returned to the library immediately. Students may request that recalls be placed on items that have been checked out for over 30 days to another borrower.
- Returning Items
- All materials are to be returned to the book return slot at the Circulation Desk. When the library is closed, materials may be returned to the Book drop chute located on the wall near the entrance to the Library.
- Fines and Fees
- The library charges fines for Overdue Items and Fees for Lost Items. Details for each are given below. All fines and fees are due before the end of the semester and all unpaid fines and fees are sent to the Business Office at the end of each semester.
- You may see fines and fees you have been charged by accessing your Library Account online. You may also check there to see what you have checked out and when they are due (to avoid incurring fines or fees).
- Overdue Fines
|Item||Overdue Fines||Maximum Fine (per item)|
|30 Day Loans||$0.10 / day||$10|
|Videos and CDs ||$1.00 / day||$10|
|DVDs||$1.00 / day||$5|
|Reserve Materials||$0.50 / hour||$10|
|Equipment (Headphones, etc.)||$1.00 / hour||$10|
|Laptops||$10.00 / day||$40|
- While overdue notices are sent as a courtesy, it is the responsibility of the Student to be aware of the due date of any item, and overdue fines will be charged whether or not an overdue notice has been received.
- Fees for Lost or Damaged Items
Students should report a loss immediately to avoid the accrual of
overdue charges. If the item is found and returned undamaged to
the Library within six months, the replacement cost only will be
|Lost or Damaged Materials Fee|
|Replacement cost of material ($25 minimum)
+ $25 processing fee + any accrued fine at the time the item
was reported lost or damaged.|
- Interlibrary Loan
- Interlibrary Loan service is available for books and journal articles that are not in the library's collection.
- Extended Privileges for Independent Study or Honors Thesis
- Extended privileges are available for those students who are completing an Independent Study or Honor Thesis during the semester or summer. To obtain extended privileges, please visit the Circulation Desk and provide a copy of the Independent Study Project Form signed by the supervising instructor. For further information, please visit the Circulation Desk or call (704) 637-4448 during normal library hours.
Computers for student use are located on the main level of the library. Children under age 16 must be accompanied by an adult who will assume full responsibility for determining appropriate internet usage and supervising that usage. The adult may not log the child on to the computer and leave the building. These workstations provide network access, Internet access, Microsoft Office Suite, and access to library databases. There is a laser printer available for printing.Printing is automatically charged to the student's laser printing allowance (250 sheets per semester). All users must agree to and abide by the Catawba College Library Computer Use Policy.
- Copying and Scanning
- Photocopying is available on the main floor of the library. Copies are 10 cents per page. You may use your Catawba ID to pay for copies if there are funds in their General account. Otherwise, please ask at the Circulation Desk for assistance.
- The copier also has scanning capabilities. There is no charge for scanning. All scans are sent via e-mail to Catawba e-mail addresses only. Instructions for scanning are posted above the copier.
- Copying or scanning using library equipment must comply with Catawba College Photocopying Guidelines.
- Private Study Space
- There are six study rooms of various sizes available in the library for individuals or groups from 2 to 12. Five of them are located on the Mezzanine, and one large study room is located on the main floor near the Wentz Reading Room.
- Media Viewing/Listening
- Computers may be used to watch DVDs and listen to CDs. Headphones are available for checkout at the Circulation Desk. The library also has a TV cart with a VHS player and DVD player in the study room on the main floor.
- Fax Services
- Fax services are available to Catawba students. Please check at the circulation desk for assistance with faxes. There is a $1.00 charge for faxes, which covers up to 10 pages. Each page beyond the 10th is 20 cents per page.